Reports in Spain have claimed Fernando Llorente, who has been with several Premier League clubs in recent weeks, has had a bust-up with Athletic Bilbao coach Marcelo Bielsa.
Bielsa left Llorente out of his starting line-up for Thursday night's 3-1 win over Slaven Belupo in the Europa League, but insisted the decision was because of the striker's lack of match fitness, and was not down to an alleged falling out between the pair.
It had been reported that Llorente, who has been linked with Arsenal, Chelsea, and Manchester United in recent weeks, has fallen out with his manager.
But Bielsa insists this is not the case.
"He has had two weeks' less work," Bielsa told reporters, reminding them of Llorente's involvement at Euro 2012.
"This is an issue that concerns only two parties: the footballer and the club."
However, Llorente is understood to have rejected Bilbao's latest contract offer, and according to the Daily Mail, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger and his scouts have spoken "at depth" about a move for the Spain international as a possible replacement for Robin van Persie, who last month revealed he has no plans to sign a new contract at Emirates Stadium.
Llorente, who has also been linked with Manchester City and Tottenham, earlier this summer hinted that he could be ready to move to the Premier League if and when he leaves Bilbao.
The La Liga outfit insist they will not let him leave the club for less than the value of his buy-out clause.
Bilbao president Josu Urrutia recently stated Llorente would not be sold this summer unless his €36million valuation was met.
"He is a key player and we would not accept less, the supporters would not accept this," he said.