Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo has hinted that he is ready to bring in at least one top forward this month as the club continue to be linked with Edinson Cavani and Hulk.
Despite spending over £65million already this summer, Chelsea are still keen on bringing in a right-back in time for the new season, while a deal for Wigan winger Victor Moses is believed to be close.
And Di Matteo, who on Friday afternoon saw teenage Belgium international striker Romelu Lukaku join West Brom on a season-long loan deal, is also keen to bring in a replacement for Didier Drogba, who left Stamford Bridge at the end of last season.
"At this stage of his career the most important thing is to play," the Italian said of Lukaku before his loan move was completed.
"It might be a bit more difficult here with us so it's the best choice to let him go out on loan."
And he added: "We are a little bit light in a couple of positions and we've got one or two young players who are interesting but we will see what is going to go on and see what happens when the market closes."
According to reports in Italy, Chelsea have already held talks with Napoli about Uruguay striker Cavani.
Reports last month had claimed the Blues were set to hold talks with Cavani over a move to Stamford Bridge, but Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis later moved to end interest in his prize asset by telling clubs that they will have to pay €100million for the forward.
But according to Sportmediaset, De Laurentiis is now ready to sell Cavani for around €40m.
According to the report coming out of Italy, Chelsea are ready to offer around €30m for the 25-year-old, who has also been linked with Premier League champions and Manchester City and Italian champions Juventus, with discussions between officials from both clubs said to have already taken place.
Chelsea are believed to be ready to turn their attention to Cavani after failing to agree a fee with Porto for Brazilian striker Hulk, who has a €100m buy-out clause in his contract and is unlikely to be on the move this month for less than €40m.
Cavani has previously admitted he is interested in playing in the Premiership.
Marseille defender Cesar Azpilicueta is still believed to be Di Matteo's top defensive target.