Manchester City are reportedly prepared to risk losing Nigel de Jong, who has been linked with Arsenal and Liverpool, for nothing next summer.
De Jong fell down the pecking order at Man City under Roberto Mancini last season, and talks over a new contract at the Etihad Stadium broke down earlier this year.
Towards the end of last year, it was thought that the 27-year-old would hold talks over a new deal, but reports at the end of City's historic Premier League title winning campaign suggested the club were ready to listen to offers for the Netherlands international.
AC Milan, Arsenal, and Liverpool have all been linked with De Jong, and although he is unlikely to be on the move this summer - unless a club comes in with a bid that the Blues consider too good to turn down - he could be available on a free transfer in twelve months time, according to the Daily Mirror.
De Jong is said to be keen on staying at the Etihad, but according to Friday's report, he is demanding a new £110,000-a-week deal - double his current salary.
City need to curb their massive spending on transfer fees and wages, and are unwilling to meet his demands, although Mancini is said to be happy to keep the Dutchman at the club next season as a squad player, even if that means losing out on a transfer fee for the tough-tackler.
The developments mean De Jong is likely to be a transfer target for a number of clubs at the end of the 2012-13 campaign, although who would be willing to meet his six-figure wage demands - even if there is not a transfer fee to pay - remains to be seen.